After putting your Air Conditioner to good use during this hot Northern Virginia summer, you may notice that your unit isn’t running quite as well as it was at the beginning of the season. With the transition from Summer to Fall coming up, now is a great time to both schedule your Fall Maintenance and ask if your HVAC unit needs a repair or if it might be time for a replacement of your system altogether.
We know that it can be difficult to tell what kind of maintenance your unit needs from just looking at it, so we’ve compiled a list of the most common signs for both repairs and replacements to help you determine which option is the best for you.
Signs you need a Repair
- Rising Energy Bills. While there are a variety of reasons your energy bill may be more expensive than the last, one thing to take into account is your HVAC system. Sometimes the cause of a higher bill is something as simple as needing to schedule a duct cleaning, while other times your HVAC unit requires a repair such as flushing the drain line, a broken fan motor, or a variety of other issues. These issues can all cause your unit to work harder than it needs to, costing you more money than necessary.
- Uneven cooling in your home. Just like a higher energy bill, uneven cooling in your home can be caused by a number of different reasons; some of the most common reasons for this include simple repairs such as air leaks in the ductwork or improperly sized units.
- Unusual noises or smells in your home. While it is normal for your HVAC unit to make some sounds such as a soft hum of air flowing through your vents, some noises such as rattling, hissing, whistling, or clicking coming from your system are usually the sign of a necessary repair.
Signs you need a Replacement
- Your unit is 15 years or older. According to the National Association of Home Builders, a typical HVAC unit is meant to last between 10-15 years. This is one of the most common reasons a unit will need to be replaced. Just like any other machine, time and use cause your HVAC unit to wear down over time, eventually leading to it not running as well as it should – including the reasons listed above.
- More frequent need for repair. The need for a repair typically comes along with age and use. Not only will older HVAC units struggle to function efficiently, but they will also tend to require more repairs. While replacing your unit may be an investment, it will save you money in the long run as you won’t be repairing it as often.
- The use of R22 Freon. Starting in January 2010, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) put a ban on the production of R22 Freon and the installation of new systems that use it. Though it isn’t required that functioning units using R22 Freon be replaced, it could be difficult to service your machine if your system fails or needs an emergency repair, and the cost might be more expensive due to the shrinking supply.
If you think it’s time to repair or replace your HVAC unit, or you aren’t sure and would like a second opinion, Twin Air LLC is here to help! We serve the Manassas and surrounding Northern Virginia areas with quality HVAC repairs, specialized installation of new units, and much more! Contact us today to learn more about what we have to offer, or to schedule an appointment with one of our technicians: (703) 754-1062 or on our website.